[Igcm] Notice of Meeting: IGC-EC Meeting (November 16)

Idaho Geospatial Council Membership igcm at admws.idaho.gov
Fri Oct 13 08:56:43 MDT 2017

David Matte, state archivist at the Idaho State Historical Society, will be attending the next IGC-EC meeting on November 16th at 9:30 am (Mountain) to discuss the GIS state records retention policy.  Currently, this policy states that geographic information systems and cartographic records have perpetual retention periods.  General information Mr. Matte will cover includes:

  *   Methodology for managing state records
  *   Collecting permanent historical records that have Fiscal, Administrative, Legal and Long-term historical value (FALL)
  *   Advising state agencies on records management
  *   Advising state agencies on developing their retention schedules
  *   How retention schedules are applied at the State Records Center
  *   Why and how ISHS is in an advisory role with retention schedules (e.g. Why don't we just write them for everyone?)

In addition, there will be an opportunity to ask David specific questions, and the committee will be asking such questions as:

  *   What constitutes GIS data under this definition?
  *   Would this include CSVs with XY coordinates or georeferenced PDFs?
  *   What about data acquired by other parties?
  *   Does the State have archive space available for long term repository?
  *   Is it necessary to keep ALL GIS data indefinitely or should we move towards a policy change?

Meeting details will follow (Boise - specific location to be announced), and we hope you'll join us in person or via telephone to learn more about what the GIS state records retention policy means to you.

Regards,

Erin Seaman
Assistant to Greg Zickau, Chief Information Officer
Administrative support for:

  *   Idaho Technology Authority (ITA)
  *   IT Leadership Council (ITLC)
  *   Idaho Geospatial Council-Executive Committee (IGC-EC)
  *   Access Idaho Steering Committee
Department of Administration | Office of the Chief Information Officer | State of Idaho
Erin.Seaman at cio.idaho.gov<mailto:Erin.Seaman at cio.idaho.gov> | (208) 332-1876